On This Page
The Atlanta Braves defeated the Houston Astros to Win 2021 World Series
On Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021 the Atlanta Braves emphatically defeated the Houston Astros to win the 2021 Major League Baseball World Series in six games. This is the first World Series Title for the Atlanta Braves since the 1995 Major League Baseball season. What a surprising conclusion to an outstanding 2021 MLB season. Congratulations to the entire Atlanta Braves franchise and their tremendous fans!
World Series Game 1 – Atlanta Braves 6 vs. Houston Astros 2
- 1st Inning - Jorge Soler homered to left field (382 feet). 1 – 0 Atlanta Braves. Austin Riley doubled to deep center field and Ozzie Albies scored on this RBI. 2 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
- 2nd Inning – Soler grounded into fielder’s choice to shortstop, and Travis d’Arnaud scored. 3 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
- 3rd Inning – Adam Duvall homered to left field (387 feet), and Eddie Rosario scored as well on the home run. 5 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
- 4th Inning – Chas McCormick grounder into a fielder’s choice to the shortstop, and Kyle Tucker scored. 5 – 1 Atlanta Braves.
- 8th Inning – Freddie Freeman hit a sacrifice fly to right field, and Dansby Swanson scored on the play. Atlanta Braves 6 – 1. Carlos Correa grounded out to second base, and Yordan Alvarez scored on the play. 6 – 2 Atlanta Braves.
World Series Game 2 – Atlanta Braves 2 vs. Houston Astros 7
- 1st Inning – Alex Bregman hit a sacrifice fly to center field, and Jose Altuve scored on the play. 1 – 0 Houston Astros.
- 2nd Inning – d’Arnaud homered to left field (375 feet). 1 – 1 tie game. Jose Siri reached base on infield single to second base, and Tucker scored on the play. 2 – 1 Houston Astros. Martin Maldonado singled to shallow left field, and Yuli Gurriel scored on a throwing error by Rosario. 4 – 1 Houston Astros. Michael Brantley singled to right field scoring Maldonado. 5 – 1 Houston Astros.
- 5th Inning – Freeman singled to left field scoring d’Arnaud. 5 – 2 Houston Astros.
- 6th Inning – Gurriel grounded into a fielder’s choice to the shortstop, and Alvarez scored on the play. 6 – 2 Houston Astros.
- 7th Inning – Altuve homered to left field (374 feet). 7 – 2 Houston Astros.
World Series Game 3 – Houston Astros 0 vs. Atlanta Braves 2
- 3rd Inning – Riley doubled to left field, and Rosario scored on the play. 1 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
- 8th Inning – d’Arnaud homered to center field (437 feet). 2 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
World Series Game 4 – Houston Astros 2 vs. Atlanta Braves 3
- 1st Inning – Correa grounded out to third base, and Altuve scored on the play. 1 – 0 Houston Astros.
- 4th Inning – Altuve homered to center field (434 feet). 2 – 0 Houston Astros.
- 6th Inning – Riley singled to left field, and Rosario scored on the play. 2 – 1 Houston Astros.
- 7th Inning – Swanson homered to right field (359 feet). 2 – 2 tie game. Soler homered to left field (372 feet). 3 – 2 Atlanta Braves.
World Series Game 5 – Houston Astros 9 vs. Atlanta Braves 5
- 1st Inning – Duvall homered to right field (376 feet), Albies, Riley, and Rosario all also scored on this 1st inning grand slam by Duvall. 4 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
- 2nd Inning – Bregman doubled to deep right – center field, and Gurriel scored on the play. 4 – 1 Atlanta Braves. Maldonado hit a sacrifice fly to center field, and Tucker scored. 4 – 2 Atlanta Braves.
- 3rd Inning – Correa doubled to center field scoring Altuve on the play. 4 – 3 Atlanta Braves. Gurriel grounded out to shortstop, but Brantley scored on the play. 4 – 4 tie game. Freeman Homered to right – center field (460 feet). 5 – 4 Atlanta Braves.
- 5th Inning – Maldonado walked, and Correa scored on the pitch. 5 – 5 tie game. Marwin Gonzalez singled to left – center field scoring Bregman and Gurriel. 7 – 5 Houston Astros.
- 7th Inning – Maldonado singled to left field, and Tucker scored. 8 – 5 Houston Astros.
- 8th Inning – Correa singled to left field scoring Altuve. 9 – 5 Houston Astros.
World Series Game 6 – Atlanta Braves 7 vs. Houston Astros 0
3rd Inning – Soler homered to left field (446 feet), Albies and Rosario scored on the home run. 3 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
5th Inning – Swanson homered to left field (441 feet), Albies scored on the home run as well. 5 – 0 Atlanta Braves. Freeman doubled to deep left – center field scoring Soler. 6 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
7th Inning – Freeman homered to center field (416 feet). 7 – 0 Atlanta Braves.
The Most Valuable Player of the 2021 World Series
The Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award of the 2021 Major League Baseball World Series was presented to Jorge Soler of the Atlanta Braves. Soler appeared in all 6 games of the 2021 MLB World Series. Throughout his 23 World Series plate appearances he recorded 20 official at bats. Over the course of the 2021 MLB World Series Jorge scored 4 runs, had 6 hits, 2 singles, 1 double, 0 triples, 3 home runs, 0 stolen bases, 0 times caught stealing bases, 0 times did he ground into a double play, 0 times did he get hit by a pitch, 0 sacrifice hits, 0 sacrifice flies, 3 base on balls (walks), 0 intentional base on balls (intentional walks), 7 strikeouts, and 16 total bases.
During the World Series this year Soler carried a batting average of .300, on base percentage of .391, slugging percentage of .800, an on base + slugging percentage of 1.191, a win probability added for offensive player of 0.48, and a championship win probability added for offensive player of 23.1 %. These were phenomenal statistics during the 2021 MLB World Series which made him the front runner for the MVP of the World Series. Runners up for the World Series MVP this year that were considered include Dansby Swanson, Freddie Freeman, Kyle Wright, Max Fried, Austin Riley, Travis d’Arnaud, Joc Pederson, and Eddie Rosario.
"We hit every pothole, every bump you could possibly hit this year, and somehow the car still made it onto the other side," the Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman emotional expressed. "It's just an incredible group. I'm kind of trying to tell you guys’ things of how I feel because I don't really feel anything yet. It's going to hit hard soon. I don't know when. Maybe it's when we get to see everybody in Atlanta."
"I'm numb … I'm numb. I can't say enough about Alex (Anthopoulos). I always say the only thing he's guilty of is he never stops trying to make this thing better. He's just a tireless worker, he and his staff, trying to make this club better all the time. He's never going to cash the chips in ever. If there's ever slightly a chance or a glimmer of hope, he's going to go out and go for it," says the manager of the Atlanta Braves, Brian Snitker.
"Indescribable. Something you dream about as a kid, something you always want to happen and you dream about. And to be able to have this moment, it's really special," the Atlanta Braves pitcher Max Fried stated.
"He (Freddie Freeman) means everything to this team," the Atlanta Braves shortstop Dansby Swanson explained. "He's been through the worst of times and now through the best of times. Nobody deserves it on our team more than him. He stuck it out and really believed in the vision and mission that this place had. I'm just thankful for him to be on our team."
“Atlanta Braves finish off Houston Astros for first World Series championship since 1995”, Alden Gonzalez, espn.com, November 2, 2021.
“World Series 2021: Schedules, analysis and updates from the Atlanta Braves-Houston Astros Fall Classic”, espn.com, November 3, 2021.
“Jorge Soler”, baseball-reference.com, November 4, 2021.
Written by: David Green