On This Page
Every Major League Baseball Deal Prior to the 2021 MLB Trade Deadline
From Thursday, July 15th, 2021 to Friday, July 30th, 2021 at 4:00 p. m. eastern time there was 56 deals that transpired in Major League Baseball. Below is the complete coverage of all of those trades that were negotiated just prior to the MLB trade deadline for the 2021 Major League Baseball season. This is a great way to catch up on where every MLB franchise stands heading in to the 2021 race for the postseason which is heating up fast right now with only 2 months remaining in the 2021 MLB regular season.
July 30th, 2021
- The Chicago Cubs traded third baseman / outfielder / first baseman Kris Bryant to the San Francisco Giants in exchange for outfielder Alexander Canario and right – handed pitcher Caleb Kilian.
- The Chicago Cubs traded shortstop Javier Baez as well as right – handed pitcher Trevor Williams and cash to the New York Mets. In exchange the Chicago Cubs received outfielder Pete Crow – Armstrong from the New York Mets.
- The Toronto Blue Jays acquired the right – handed pitcher Jose Berrios from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for shortstop / outfielder Austin Martin and the right – handed pitcher Simeon Woods Richardson who moved over to the Minnesota Twins.
- The Chicago Cubs traded right – handed relief pitcher (closer) Craig Kimbrel across town to the Chicago White Sox. The Chicago Cubs received second baseman Nick Madrigal as well as right – handed pitcher Codi Heuer in this deal with the Chicago White Sox.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers acquired one of the best MLB right – handed pitchers in Max Scherzer along with shortstop Trea Turner from the Washington Nationals. The Washington Nationals were sent catcher Keibert Ruiz, right – handed pitcher Josiah Gray, right – handed pitcher Gerardo Carrillo, and outfielder Donovan Casey from the Los Angeles Dodgers in this MLB blockbuster trade agreement.
- The Texas Rangers traded right – handed pitcher Kyle Gibson, right – handed pitcher Ian Kennedy, right – handed pitcher Hans Crouse, and cash to the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange the Texas Rangers picked up right – handed pitcher Spencer Howard, right – handed pitcher Kevin Gowdy, and right – handed pitcher Joss Gessner.
- The Oakland A’s acquired catcher Yan Gomes, second baseman Josh Harrison, and cash considerations from the Washington Nationals who will get catcher Drew Millas, right – handed pitcher Seth Shuman, and right – handed pitcher Richard Guasch from the Oakland Athletics in this MLB deadline trade.
- The Los Angeles Angels traded left – handed pitcher Andrew Heaney and cash to the New York Yankees in exchange for right – handed pitcher Janson Junk and right – handed pitcher Elvis Peguero.
- The Atlanta Braves received outfielder Jorge Soler in a trade with the Kansas City Royals. In return the Kansas City Royals got right – handed pitcher Kasey Kalich from the struggling Atlanta Braves.
- The Washington Nationals traded left- handed starting pitcher Jon Lester to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for outfielder Lane Thomas. It will be strange to see the great former Chicago Cubs pitcher and 2016 MLB World Series champion Jon Lester in a Cardinals uniform.
- The St. Louis Cardinals also picked up left – handed pitcher J. A. Happ and cash from the Minnesota Twins. In return Minnesota received right – handed pitcher John Grant and left – handed pitcher Evan Sisk.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates trade right – handed pitcher Richard Rodriguez to the Atlanta Braves in exchange for right – handed pitcher Bryse Wilson and right – handed pitcher Ricky DeVito. This is a small no – name trade considering all the big – name MLB blockbusters deals that recently went down last week.
- Atlanta Braves also acquire the heavy singing outfielder from the Miami Marlins in Adam Duvall. In return the Miami Marlins scoop up catcher Alex Jackson.
- The Minnesota Twins traded right – handed pitcher Hansel Robles to the Boston Red Sox in exchange for right – handed pitcher Alex Scherff. Another small move before the 2021 MLB trade deadline.
- The Toronto Blue Jays, who have played in multiple home stadiums during this 2021 Major League Baseball season, acquired right – handed pitcher Joakim Soria from the Arizona Diamondbacks for 2 players yet to be named.
- The Atlanta Braves picked up outfielder Eddie Rosario and cash from Cleveland Indians, who are soon to be known as the Cleveland Guardians, for first baseman / third baseman Pablo Sandoval.
- The Chicago Cubs send outfielder Jake Marisnick to the San Diego Padres last Friday in one of the last trades that was negotiated just prior to the 4:00 p. m. cut off. In exchange the Chicago Cubs swoop up right – handed pitcher Anderson Espinoza.
- The Philadelphia Phillies wrapped up a deal to gain control of shortstop Freddy Galvis and cash considerations from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for the right – handed pitcher Tyler Bush.
- Los Angeles Angels trade left – handed pitcher Tony Watson to the San Francisco Giants for right – handed pitcher Jose Marte, right – handed pitcher Ivan Armstrong, and left – handed pitcher Sam Selman.
- The Milwaukee Brewers achieve the rights to right – handed pitcher John Curtis through a trade with the Miami Marlins. The Miami Marlins receive catcher Payton Henry in this deal.
- The Cleveland Indians traded right – handed pitcher Phil Maton and catcher Yainer Diaz to the Houston Astros in exchange for outfielder Myles Straw.
- The Tampa Bay Rays have agreed upon terms to possess control of outfielder Jordan Luplow and right – handed pitcher D. J. Johnson from the Cleveland Indians for right – handed pitcher Peyton Battenfield.
- The Boston Red Sox trade infielder / outfielder / utility player Michael Chavis to the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Boston Red Sox retain the services of left – handed pitcher Austin Davis via this trade agreement with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- The Detroit Tigers sent left – handed pitcher Daniel Norris packing to the Milwaukee Brewers in a trade that authorizes the Detroit Tigers to obtain right – handed pitcher Reese Olson.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates traded left – handed pitcher Braeden Ogle to the Philadelphia Phillies for catcher Abrahan Gutierrez.
- The Tampa Bay Rays swiped up on the right – handed pitcher Shawn Armstrong from the Baltimore Orioles. The Orioles get only cash considerations in return for this Major League Baseball transaction.
- Right – handed pitcher Daniel Hudson moves from the Washington Nationals to the San Diego Padres in exchange for right – handed pitcher Mason Thompson and shortstop Jordy Barley who fly over to the Washington Nationals.
July 29th, 2021
- Outfielder / designated hitter Kyle Schwarber got traded from the Washington Nationals to the Boston Red Sox as the Sox attempt to gain control from the division leading Tampa Bay Rays in the American League East. The Washington Nationals acquired right – handed pitcher Aldo Ramirez in this deal.
- The Platinum Glove Award winning first baseman Anthony Rizzo was traded from the Chicago Cubs to the New York Yankees in exchange for right – handed pitcher Alexander Vizcaino as well as outfielder Kevin Alcantara. Rizzo brings with him the ingredients to win a championship as he is a great clubhouse leader, and he has performed well during high pressure big – league ball situations.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers scooped up left – handed pitcher Danny Duffy as well as cash in a trade with the Kansas City Royals who will receive a player to be named later.
- The Tampa Bay Rays dealt right – handed pitcher Diego Castillo to the Seattle Mariners for right – handed pitcher J. T. Chargois as well as third baseman Austin Shenton.
- The Chicago White Sox traded for right – handed pitcher Ryan Tepera from their counterpart on the northside of Chicago. The Chicago Cubs get left – handed pitcher Bailey Horn in return via this deal with the heavily contending southsiders of the American League in the Chicago White Sox.
- Outfielder Joey Gallo, left- handed pitcher Joely Rodrigues, and cash considerations have been traded from the Texas Rangers to the New York Yankees in exchange for second baseman Ezequiel Duran, shortstop Josh Smith, infielder / outfielder Trevor Hauver, and right – handed pitcher Glenn Otto. The addition of Joey Gallo, along with the New York Yankees acquiring Anthony Rizzo in a trade with the Chicago Cubs, addresses the New York Yankees sorely needed left - handed power bats in their line – up.
- The busy as hell Washington Nationals traded their left – handed pitcher in Brad Hand to the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for catcher Riley Adams.
- The Colorado Rockies acquired right – handed pitcher Ashton Goudeau from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for cash considerations.
- Second baseman Cesar Hernandez changes hands from the Cleveland Indians to the Chicago White Sox for left – handed pitcher Konnor Pilkington.
July 28th, 2021
- The Arizona Diamondbacks trade infielder Eduardo Escobar to the Milwaukee Brewers. In return the Arizona D – Backs acquire infielder / outfielder Cooper Hummel and infielder Alberto Ciprian from the Milwaukee Brewers.
- The Oakland Athletics gain outfielder Starling Marte from the Miami Marlins for the return of left – handed pitcher Jesus Luzardo.
- The Houston Astros picked up right – handed pitcher Yimi Garcia from the Miami Marlins in exchange for right – handed pitcher Austin Pruitt as well as outfielder Bryan De La Cruz.
- The Colorado Rockies traded right – handed pitcher Mychal Givens to the Cincinnati Reds for right – handed pitcher Case Williams and right – handed pitcher Noah Davis.
- The Seattle Mariners acquired left – handed pitcher Tyler Anderson from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for catcher Carter Bins and right – handed pitcher Joaquin Tejada.
- The New York Yankees trade right – handed pitcher Luis Cessa and left – handed pitcher Justin Wilson to the Cincinnati Reds for a player to be named later.
July 27th, 2021
- The Seattle Mariners traded right – handed pitcher Kendall Graveman and right – handed pitcher Rafael Montero to the Houston Astros in exchange for third baseman Abraham Toro and right – handed pitcher Joe Smith.
July 26th, 2021
- The Chicago Cubs traded star left – handed relief pitcher Andrew Chafin to the A’s. In return the Oakland Athletics send the Chicago Cubs outfielder Greg Deichmann and right – handed pitcher Daniel Palencia.
- The New York Yankees obtained right – handed pitcher Clay Holmes from the Pittsburgh Pirates for infielder Diego Castillo as well as infielder Hoy Park.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ship second baseman / outfielder Adam Frazier and cash to the San Diego Padres in exchange for shortstop Tucupita Marcano, outfielder Jack Suwinski, and right – handed pitcher Michell Miliano.
July 25th, 2021
- Right – handed pitcher T. J. Zeuch will now make his home in St. Louis with the Cardinals as he was traded to the STL from the Toronto Blue Jays for just cash considerations.
July 24th, 2021
- Outfielder Mark Payton is traded to the New York Mets from the Cincinnati reds in exchange for cash.
July 23rd, 2021
- The New York Mets also acquired left – handed starting pitcher Rich Hill from the Tampa Bay Rays. The Tampa Bay Rays receive right – handed pitcher Tommy Hunter and catcher Matt Dyer in return.
July 22nd, 2021
- The Minnesota Twins send the clutch slugging designated hitter Nelson Cruz and right – handed pitcher Calvin Faucher to the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange the Twins received right – handed pitcher Joe Ryan and right – handed pitcher Drew Strotman.
July 21st, 2021
- The Kansas City Royals swiped right – handed pitcher Joel Payamps from Toronto. In this trade agreement the Toronto Blue Jays only get cash considerations back from the Kansas City Royals.
- Outfielder Billy McKinney moves from the New York Mets to the Los Angeles Dodgers for outfielder Carlos Rincon and cash money.
July 19th, 2021
- The Los Angeles Angels sell left – handed pitcher Dillon Peters to the Pittsburgh Pirates for cash considerations.
July 16th, 2021
- The Arizona Diamondbacks traded catcher Stephen Vogt to the Atlanta Braves for first baseman Mason Berne.
July 15th, 2021
- Catcher Deivy Grullon goes to the Chicago White Sox in exchange the Tampa Bay Rays receive cash considerations.
- Outfielder Joc Pederson gets traded from the Chicago Cubs to the Atlanta Braves. In return the Chicago Cubs were awarded first baseman Bryce Ball from the Atlanta Braves.
“Here is every Trade Deadline deal”, mlb.com, August 3, 2021.
Written by: David Green