Last Updated: January 5, 2021
On This Page
This Day in Sports History (1/3/2021 – (1/9/2021)
January 3rd, 1920
- The New York Yankees purchased Babe Ruth from the Boston Red Sox for only $125,000.
January 4th, 1986
- NCAA basketball's David Robinson blocks a NCAA basketball record of 14 shots.
January 5th, 1957
- The Brooklyn Dodgers' Jackie Robinson retires instead of being traded to the New York Giants.
January 6th, 1980
- The Philadelphia Flyers set an NHL record of 35 consecutive games without a defeat.
January 7th, 1972
- The Los Angeles Lakers post their 33rd straight win setting the NBA record.
January 8th, 1993
- The Chicago Bulls' basketball player Michael Jordan scores his 20,000th NBA career point.
January 9th, 1942
- The great Joe Louis knocks out Buddy Baer in the first round for the heavyweight boxing title.
Written by: David Green