On This Page
This Day in Sports History (9/27/2020 – (10/3/2020)
September 27th, 1973
- Pitcher Nolan Ryan of the California Angels establishes a Major League Baseball record by striking out 383 hitters in a single season.
September 28th, 1920
- Eight players on the Chicago White Sox were indicted for throwing the 1919 World Series (Black Sox scandal).
September 29th, 1954
- Willie Mays makes the famous over the shoulder catch of Vic Wertz' 460 ft. flyout.
September 30th, 1947
- The first televised World Series game is played. The New York Yankees defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers with a final score of 5 to 3.
October 1st, 1903
- The first MLB World Series game ever was played. The first ever MLB World Series game featured the Pittsburgh Pirates against the Boston Americans at Huntington Avenue Baseball Grounds in Boston, Massachusetts.
October 2nd, 1932
- The New York Yankees sweep the Chicago Cubs in the 1932 World Series.
October 3rd, 2004
- The Montreal Expos played their last official MLB baseball game of their 36 year history.
Written by: David Green