On This Page
This Day in Sports History (9/20/2020 – (9/26/2020)
September 20th, 1951
- Ford Frick is selected as the Major League Baseball commissioner.
September 21st, 1970
- ABC debuts Monday Night Football. The Cleveland Browns defeated the New York Jets 31 to 21.
September 22nd, 1911
- Cy Young wins his 511th and final MLB game.
September 23rd, 1988
- Jose Conseco becomes the first MLB player to hit 40 or more home runs and steal 40 or more bases in a single season.
September 24th, 1940
- Jimmy Foxx hits his 500th career MLB home run.
September 25th, 1908
- Ed Reulbach of the Chicago Cubs throws the only double header shut out in MLB history.
September 26th, 1981
- Nolan Ryan set the MLB record by throwing his 5th career no hitter.
Written by: David Green