On This Page
This Day in Sports History (8/23/2020 – 8/29/2020)
August 23rd, 1953
- Phil Grate sets the record for throwing a baseball 443 feet 3.5 inches.
August 24th, 1972
- Gordie Howe as well as Jean Beliveau are inducted in to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
August 25th, 1875
- Matthew Webb becomes first to swim the English Channel. He accomplished this historic feat in 21 hours and 45 minutes.
August 26th, 1939
- The first Major League Baseball game is telecast on W2XBS New York. It was a doubleheader between the Cincinnati Reds and the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field.
August 27th, 1982
- Rickey Henderson steals his 119th base of season to break Lou Brock's record.
August 28th, 1978
- Donald Vesco rides his 21 – foot long Kawasaki motorcycle at a speed of 318.598 mph.
August 29th, 1885
- Boxing's first heavyweight title fight with 3 – ounce gloves as well as 3 – minute rounds is fought between John L. Sullivan and Dominick McCaffrey.
Written by: David Green