On This Page
This Day in Sports History (7/5/2020 – 7/11/2020)
July 5th, 1989
- Mark McGwire hits 100th home run, and he becomes the second fastest played to do so.
July 6th, 1933
- The first MLB All Star game is played at Comiskey Park in Chicago Illinois. The American League defeated the National League 5 to 2.
July 7th, 2007
- Venus Williams wins the Women's Singles at Wimbledon for her fourth time.
July 8th, 1967
- •Billie Jean King wins the Wimbledon sweep (singles, doubles, and mix).
July 9th, 2006
- Italy wins the 2006 FIFA World Cup by defeating France 5-3 on penalty kicks. The score after extra time is 1 to 1.
July 10th, 1910
- Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinois opens as the Chicago White Sox lose to the St. Louis Browns with a final score of 2 to 0.
July 11th, 2010
- Spain beats the Netherlands 1 to 0 to win the 2010 FIFA World Cup of soccer.
Written by: David Green