On This Page
This Day in Sports History (6/7/2020 – 6/13/2020)
June 7th, 1989
- Wayne Gretzky won his 9th NHL Hart Memorial Trophy in ten years.
June 8th, 1966
- The NFL and AFL announce the plans for the merger to transition into the NFL becoming the NFC and the AFL to become the AFC in the National Football League beginning in 1970.
June 9th, 1914
- Honus Wagner becomes the first MLB player to reach 3,000 hits.
June 10th, 1984
- The Boston Celtics defeated the Los Angeles Lakers to win the NBA championship.
June 11th, 1919
- Sir Barton becomes the first horse ever to win the Triple Crown.
June 12th, 1839
- The first ever baseball game is played in the United States of America.
June 13th, 1948
- Babe Ruth’s final farewell at Yankee Stadium.
Written by: David Green