On This Page
This Day in Sports History (5/3/2020 – 5/9/2020)
May 3rd, 1959
- Charlie Maxwell of the Detroit Tigers hit four consecutive home runs during a double header.
May 4th, 1968
- The First ABA championship. The Pittsburgh Pipers defeated the New Orleans Buccaneers 4 games to 3 games.
May 5th, 1863
- Joe Coburn knocks out Mike McCoole in the 63rd round for the US Boxing Title.
May 6th, 1733
- First ever international boxing match. Bob Whittaker defeated Tito di Carni.
May 7th, 1945
- Branch Rickey announces the formation of the United States Negro Baseball League.
May 8th, 1866
- Australian Rules Football originated.
May 9th, 1984
- The Chicago White Sox defeated the Milwaukee Brewers 7 to 6 in 25 innings which was the longest timed baseball game that lasted 8 hours and 6 minutes.
Written by: David Green