On This Page
This Day in Sports History (5/10/2020 – 5/16/2020)
May 10th, 1970
- The Boston Bruins defeated the St. Louis Blues 4 games to 0 games (sweep) to win the Stanley Cup.
May 11th, 1875
- George “Charmer” Zettlein pitches the first 9 inning shut out in baseball history.
May 12th, 1970
- Ernie Banks of the Chicago Cubs hits his 500th home run.
May 13th, 1942
- Pitchers Jim Tobin hits three home runs in a game.
May 14th, 1906
- The flagpole at the Chicago White Sox ballpark breaks while raising the pennant.
May 15th, 1953
- Rocky Marciano knocks out Joe Walcott in Chicago, IL for heavyweight boxing title.
May 16th, 1869
- The Cincinnati Reds played their first baseball game and won by the score of 41 to 7.
Written by: David Green