On This Page
This Day in Sports History (4/26/2020 – 5/2/2020)
April 26th, 1905
- Chicago Cubs player Jack McCarthy becomes the only MLB player to throw out three players at home plate in a single game.
April 27th, 1947
- The New York Yankees celebrated Babe Ruth Day at Yankee Stadium.
April 28th, 1930
- The first night game was played in organized baseball. The game was played in Independence, Kansas.
April 29th, 1986
- Roger Clemens of the Boston Red Sox strikes out an MLB record 20 batters in a single 9 inning game.
April 30th, 1919
- The Philadelphia Phillies beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 9 to 0 in a 20 inning game.
May 1st, 1751
- The first ever cricket match is played in America.
May 2nd, 1917
- Cincinnati Reds' Fred Tooney and Chicago White Sox' Hippo Vaughn pitch duel no-hitter through 9 innings. Vaughn gives up two hits and a run in the 10th inning for the Cincinnati Reds to win the game 1 to 0.
Written by: David Green