On This Page
Sports Moments in History for week of March 15th
March 15th, 1869
- The Cincinnati Red Stockings become the first professional baseball team.
March 16th, 1939
- NHL record set for ten goals scored in one period. The New York Rangers scored 7 goals and the New York Americans scored 3 goals. NHL record was also set with 26 points in the 3rd period of this game.
March 17th, 1996
- Mike Tyson defeated Frank Bruno in the third round of the fight to win the Heavyweight title.
March 18th, 1981
- The Buffalo Sabres set NHL record by scoring 9 goals in a period.
March 19th, 1995
- Michael Jordan rejoins the Chicago Bulls. He took approximately 17 months off from the Chicago Bulls and professional basketball prior to this day.
March 20th, 1897
- The first known intercollegiate basketball game was played. Yale beat the University of Pennsylvania 32 to 10.
March 21st, 1941
- Joe Louis defeated Abe Simon in the 13th round of the fight via knock out to gain the Heavyweight title.
Written by: David Green