On This Page
Sports Moments in History for week of March 1st
March 1st, 1949
- Joe Louis retires while holding the Heavyweight Boxing Title.
March 2nd, 1962
- Wilt Chamberlain scores 100 points in a basketball game.
March 3rd, 1875
- The first ice hockey was recorded in Montréal, Quebec, Canada
March 4th, 1970
- Jacksonville is the first college basketball team to average 100 or more points per game.
March 5th, 1985
- Mike Bossy of the New York Islanders is the first NHL player to score 50 goals in 8 consecutive seasons.
March 6th, 1985
- Mike Tyson makes his professional boxing debut. He knocks out Hector Mercedes in the first round in Albany, New York.
March 7th, 1857
- Baseball decides that 9 innings is an official game and not 9 runs.
Written by: David Green