On This Page
This Day in Sports History (12/29/2019 – 1/4/2019)
December 29th, 1982
- Coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide Paul “Bear” Bryant ends his career with 323 total wins.
December 30th, 1957
- The New York Giants win the NFL championship.
December 31st, 1967
- The Oakland Raiders defeated the Houston Oilers in the AFL championship game.
January 1st, 1902
- The first Rose Bowl game was played. Michigan defeated Stanford 49 to 0.
January 2nd, 1965
- The New York Jets acquire Joe Namath.
January 3rd, 1920
- The Boston Red Sox sell Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees for $125,000.
January 4th, 2004
- Both Ryne Sandberg and Wade Boggs are selected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Written by: David Green