On This Page
This Day in Sports History (12/27/2020 – (1/2/2020)
December 27th, 1981
- The Edmonton Oilers' great, Wayne Gretzky, becomes the fastest player in NHL history to score 100 points as he did so in his 38th career NHL game.
December 28th, 2008
- Detroit Lions end their football season with 0 wins and 16 losses which is the worst losing record in the history of the NFL.
December 29th, 1862
- Bowling ball is officially invented.
December 30th, 1956
- The New York Giants defeated the Chicago Bears with a final score of 47 – 7 in the NFL championship game.
December 31st, 1963
- The Chicago Bears win the NFL championship.
January 1st, 1902
- The first Rose Bowl college football game is played in Pasadena, California between the University of Michigan and Stanford. The Final score was 49 to 0 in favor of the Michigan Wolverines.
January 2nd, 1961
- The first AFL Championship Game is played between the Houston Oilers and the Los Angeles Chargers. The final score was 24 – 16 in favor of the Houston Oilers.
Written by: David Green