This Day in Sports History (12/22/2019 – 12/28/2019)
December 22nd, 1959
- The New York Rangers goal tender Marcel Paille wears a customized mask for protection.
December 23rd, 1997
- Chicago Bulls head coach Phil Jackson becomes the fastest to reach 500 wins in 682 total games coached.
December 24th, 1961
- The Houston Oilers defeated the San Diego Chargers 10 to 3 in the AFL championship game.
December 25th, 1888
- The first indoor baseball game was played at fairgrounds in Philadelphia, PA.
December 26th, 1991
- Chuck Knolls retires from coaching in the NFL after 23 seasons.
December 27th, 1991
- Dave Shula is hired by the Cincinnati Bengals as the youngest NFL head coach at the time. He was 32 years old.
December 28th, 2008
- The Detroit Lions completed their season without winning a single game that year as they went 0 and 16. That was good enough for the worst record in NFL history.
Written by: David Green