On This Page
This Day in Sports History (12/15/2019 – 12/21/2019)
December 15th, 1891
- James Naismith invents the game of basketball.
December 16th, 1929
- The first NHL game ever played in Chicago Stadium. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Pittsburgh Pirates.
December 17th, 1933
- The NFL begins keeping official stats as the Chicago Bears (Western Division Champions) defeated the New York Giants (Eastern Division Champions) 23 to 21 in the first NFL Championship Game. The game was held at Wrigley Field in Chicago, IL (attendance – 25,000).
December 18th, 1949
- The Philadelphia Eagles defeat the Los Angeles Rams 14 to 0 in the NFL Championship game.
December 19th, 1984
- Wayne Gretzky becomes the youngest NHL player to score 1,000 points at the age of 18.
December 20th, 1966
- The NBA awards the city of Seattle with the Supersonics franchise debuting in the 1967 – 1968 NBA season.
December 21st, 1969
- Vince Lombardi coaches his final football game in a losing effort.
Written by: David Green