On This Page
This Day in Sports History (11/3/2019 – 11/09/2019)
November 3rd, 1989
- The Minnesota Timberwolves play their first NBA game. They lost to the Seattle Super Sonics 106-94.
November 4th, 2001
- The Arizona Diamondbacks defeat the defending World Series Champion New York Yankees in seven games to win their first MLB World Series.
November 5th, 2008
- Greg Maddux wins his 18th MLB Gold Glove Award for fielding excellence in the National League.
November 6th, 1969
- First MLB Cy Young Award tie (Mike Cuellar of the Baltimore Orioles and Denny McLain of the Detroit Tigers tied for the award).
November 7th, 1991
- Magic Johnson announced he tested positive for HIV and retired from the NBA.
November 8th, 1970
- Tom Dempsey of New Orleans Saints kicks NFL record 63-yard field goal.
November 9th, 1965
- Willie Mays wins the MLB National League Most Valuable Player Award.
Written by: David Green