On This Page
This Day in Sports History (11/17/2019 – 11/23/2019)
November 17th, 1926
- The Chicago Blackhawks play their first NHL game in franchise history. The Chicago Blackhawks defeated the Toronto Saint Patricks 4-1.
November 18th, 1949
- Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers won the National League’s Most Valuable Player Award.
November 19th, 1961
- The Houston Oilers George Blanda throws for seven touchdowns versus the New York Titans. The Houston Oilers went on to win that game 49-13.
November 20th, 1977
- Walter Payton of the Chicago Bears rushes for an NFL all time record of 275 yards.
November 21st, 1902
- The first night football game was played between the Philadelphia Athletics and the Kanaweola AC. The Philadelphia Athletics won 39-0.
November 22nd, 2004
- The recently relocated Montreal Expos announced they changed the name of the Major League Baseball franchise to the Washington Nationals.
November 23rd, 1988
- Wayne Gretzky scores his 600th career goal in the National Hockey League.
Written by: David Green