On This Page
This Day in Sports History (1/31/2021 – (2/6/2021)
January 31st, 1975
- UCLA wins NCAA college basketball championship.
February 1st, 1968
- Vince Lombardi resigns as the coach of the Green Bay Packers.
February 2nd, 1876
- Baseball's National League officially forms in the USA with teams in Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Hartford, Louisville, New York, Philadelphia, and Saint Louis.
February 3rd, 1876
- Albert Spalding with starts sporting goods company in the USA with $800, manufacturing the first official baseball, tennis ball, basketball, golf ball, and football.
February 4th, 1924
- The first Olympic Winter Games close at Chamonix, France.
February 5th, 1921
- The New York Yankees purchase 20 acres in the Bronx to build Yankee Stadium.
February 6th, 1967
- Heavyweight fighter Muhammad Ali, formerly known as Cassius Clay, TKO’s Ernie Terrell in the 15th round in Houston, Texas for the heavyweight boxing title.
Written by: David Green