Christmas Trivia (part 3)
This week we take another break from Casino Royale as our guest writer, Anne Larson, takes the week off for health reasons. Instead, let’s go back to Christmas trivia. You may recall we have done this topic before in the newsletters of Dec. 26, 2019 and Dec. 24, 2020. For this third installment, let’s look at the story of the birth of Jesus, which is supposed to be the thing being celebrated. Most of the questions refer to the general period around the birth of Jesus, including the period of Jesus’ conception to baptism.
- What was the name of the angel who informed Mary she would conceive and give birth to Jesus?
- Who was already six months pregnant when said angel visited Mary?
- When Mary visited the pregnant woman from the previous question, what happened when Mary entered the house?
- How long did Mary live with said pregnant woman from question 2?
- Who did the pregnant woman from question 2 give birth to?
- Who was the Roman emperor at the time of Jesus’ birth?
- Mary and Joseph lived in Nazareth. However, they were in Bethlehem when Jesus was born. Why?
- How did the shepherds know to visit Jesus after Mary gave birth?
- How old was Jesus when he was circumcised?
- Where did Mary and Joseph go to have Jesus circumcised?
- Who circumcised Jesus?
- What was the name of the prophet who met Mary and Joseph at the time of the circumcision?
- How many generations separated Abraham to Jesus?
- True or false – The Virgin Mary remained a virgin after the birth of Jesus?
- Where did Josheph, Mary and Jesus take refuge while King Herod ordered the death of all male children born recently in Bethlehem?
- After the period of refuge, where did Mary, Joseph and Jesus move to?
- What was John the Baptist’s clothing made from?
- What did John the Baptist like to eat?
- True or false – The bible says Jesus was born on December 25?
- In what body of water was Jesus baptized?
Image source: Wikipedia
- Elizabeth, wife of Zechariah.
- Elizabeth’s baby leaped in her womb.
- Three months.
- John the Baptist.
- Caesar Augustus.
- They had to appear in the town Joseph was from, for a census, which in this case was Bethlehem.
- An angel told them to.
- Eight days.
- Anna (daughter of Penuel).
- False – “But he (Joseph) did not consummate their marriage (to Mary) until she gave birth to a son (Jesus)” – Matthew 1:25.
- They moved back to Nazareth.
- Camel hair and a leather belt.
- Locusts and wild honey.
- False. In fact, it is unlikely people would be asked to travel and shepherds to be out with their flocks in the winter season. It is likely that December 25 was chosen to replace pagan winter solstice celebrations held on that day.
- The Jordan River.
I hope you enjoyed my Christmas trivia and learned something. Regardless of what you celebrate this time of year, including nothing at all, I wish you peace and happiness.