Last Updated: December 26, 2019
Christmas 2019 Trivia Challenge
For this week's newsletter I extend my best wishes for a festive and/or spiritual Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, winter solstice, Festivus, Kwanza, or whatever you celebrate. My gift to you is some Christmas trivia! Here are ten of my favorite questions. Enjoy!
- What made Frosty the Snowman come to life?
- What spy reports to Santa Claus to help him keep track of who has been naughty and nice?
- What Christmas staple was originally meant to help us remember the shepherds who visited Jesus in the manger?
- Who was Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer's elf companion?
- In what holiday movie does Donald Trump make a cameo appearance?
- In which country does the advent calendar come from?
- Who is the legend of Santa Claus based on?
- The song Deck the Halls contains the lyric, "Troll the ancient Yuletide carol." What does Yuletide mean?
- What is the modern image of Santa Claus based on?
- On what date does the Armenian Apostolic Church celebrate Christmas?
- A silk hat
- The elf on a shelf
- A candy cane, because they are shaped like a shepherd's hook
- Home Alone 2
- Saint Nicholas, a Greek bishop who was said to be very generous with gifts
- Yule/Yuletide is an ancient Norse pagan winter festival lasting about two months. It seems to be have been mainly celebrated in present day Germany. The name "Yule" is attributed to a Norse month by that name. More information
- The first known image of Santa Claus is by political cartoonist Thomas Nast, who drew the image for the January 1 issue of Harper's Weekly. (see image below)
- January 7