On This Page
2 3 5 Stud Poker
2 3 5 Stud Poker(™) is a poker variant I first saw at the 2022 Global Gaming Expo. Later, on June 13, 2023, I saw it on field trial at the Plaza casino in Las Vegas.
The player is paid based on his cards only. The betting structure is two raise or check decisions as cards are revealed.
2 3 5 Stud Poker is trademarked by Light and Wonder.
- A single 52-card deck is used.
- Player makes three equal wagers labeled 2 Card Poker, 3 Card Poker, and 5 Card Poker. The player may make the optional Win 'Em All side bet at this time as well.
- The dealer shall deal the player two cards, which he may examine.
- The player may raise his 3 Card Poker bet by an amount equal to the original 3 Card Poker bet or check.
- The dealer shall deal the player a third card, which he may examine.
- The player may raise his 5 Card Poker bet by an amount equal to the original 5 Card Poker bet or check.
- The dealer shall deal two community cards, which the player may use to make his best five-card hand.
- All three required wagers shall pay according to the player's hand after two card, three cards, and all five cards per the pay tables below.
- The Win 'Em All wager shall win if the player wins all three of the required bets and pay 12 to 1.
2 Card Poker Pay Table
3 Card Poker Pay Table
|Three of a kind||10|
5 Card Poker Pay Table
|Four of a kind||100|
|Three of a kind||7|
The following table shows my analysis of the 2 Card Poker bet. The lower right cell shows a house edge of 17.65%.
2 Card Poker Return Table
The following table shows my analysis of the 3 Card Poker bet. The lower right cell shows a player edge of 1.92%. The probability the player will raise the 3 Card Poker bet is 39.37%.
3 Card Poker Return Table
|Three of a kind||Raise||20||156||0.002353||0.047059|
|Three of a kind||Check||10||0||0.000000||0.000000|
The following table shows my analysis of the 5 Card Poker bet. The lower right cell shows a player edge of 9.78%. The probability the player will raise the 5 Card Poker bet is 26.43%.
5 Card Poker Return Table
|Four of a kind||Raise||200||18,720||0.000240||0.048019|
|Three of a kind||Raise||14||1,208,340||0.015498||0.216968|
|Tens or better||Raise||2||5,237,280||0.067171||0.134343|
|Four of a kind||Check||100||0||0.000000||0.000000|
|Three of a kind||Check||7||439,020||0.005631||0.039415|
|Tens or better||Check||1||7,434,720||0.095355||0.095355|
The following table shows the expected value of all three poker bets.
2-3-5 Poker Summary
|2 Card Poker||-0.176471||1.000000|
|3 Card Poker||0.019186||1.393665|
|5 Card Poker||0.097793||1.264253|
The table above shows that if the player bets one unit on each of the three poker bets, he can expect to lose 0.059492 units. If we define the house edge as the ratio of the expected loss to one unit, we get 5.95%. If we define it as the ratio of the expected loss to the sum of the required initial bets, we get 0.059492/3 = 1.98%.
The lower right cell shows that after raising, the average final wager is 3.657919. The ratio of the expected loss to the total amount wagered, known as the element of risk, we get 0.059492/3.657919 = 1.63%.
The following table shows my analysis of the Win 'Em All bet. The lower right cell shows a house edge of 7.39%.
Win 'Em All
The player should raise the 3 Card Poker bet with any of the following in the first two cards.
- Any pair
- Any two to a straight flush
- Open-ended straight draw
The player should raise the 5 Card Poker bet with any of the following in the first three cards.
- Any pair or three of a kind
- Any three suited cards
- Three to a straight with 0 gaps with at least one 10 or better (example 8-9-10).
- Three to a straight with 1 gap with at least two 10's or better (example 8-10-J).
- Any three to a straight all 10 or better (example 10-Q-A).
Discussion about 2 3 5 Stud Poker in my forum at Wizard of Vegas.
Written by:Michael Shackleford