Last Updated: December 17, 2020
I wish my newsletters readers a happy belated Hanukkah. To celebrate, I have prepared some Hannukah trivia for you.
- How many candle holders are on a menorah?
- The original Hanukkah miracle occurred after who recaptured the Temple from whom?
- What game might be played to celebrate Hanukkah?
- What is the name of the first Hanukkah candle to be lit?
- What are two of the most popular foods might one eat to celebrate Hanukkah?
- In the original Hebrew, Hanukkah is an acronym for what?
- The story of Hanukkah can be found in which books?
- The miracle of Hannukah is that a one-day supply of temple oil lasted how long?
- A Hanukkah candle should burn for at least how long?
- When Hanukkah falls on the Sabbath, which should be lit first, the Hanukkah candle or the Shabbat candle?
- How many blessings are said at the lighting of each candle?
- What is given to children during Hanukkah?
- Which president was the first to have a public Hanukkah candle lighting?
- Where in the house should the menorah be located?
Image source: fhm/Getty
- The Maccabees victory over the Seleucid Empire (I’ll also accept Antiochus IV Epiphanes).
- Latkes and sufganiyot (I’ll accept potato pancakes and jelly donuts).
- It is an acronym in Hebrew that translates to “Eight candles, and the halakha is like the House of Hillel.” That is a reference to one rabbinical school of thought on the proper order to light the candles.
- First and Second Maccabees.
- Eight days.
- Half an hour.
- The Hanukkah candle, because that may be lit before sundown, but definitely not the Shabbat candle.
- Two, except three the first night.
- Gelt (I’ll accept chocolate coins in gold foil wrapping).
- Jimmy Carter, in 1979.
- Near a door or window, so that it may clearly be seen from the outside.
Source of answers: Wikipedia