Last Updated: January 15, 2020
On This Page
This Day in Sports History (1/12/2020 – 1/18/2020)
January 12th, 1969
- The New York Jets defeated the Baltimore Colts 16 – 7 in Super Bowl III. Joe Namath is named the Super Bowl MVP.
January 13th, 1982
- Both Henry Aaron and Frank Robinson get elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
January 14th, 1961
- Willard Dewveall of the Chicago Bears becomes the first player of the NFL to join the AFL.
January 15th, 1892
- James Naismith publishes the rules of Basketball in Triangle Magazine.
January 16th, 1972
- The Dallas Cowboys beat the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl VI. Final score was 24 to 3.
January 17th, 1971
- The Baltimore Colts defeated the Dallas Cowboys 16 to 13 in Super Bowl V.
January 18th, 1996
- Baseball owners in MLB agree to interleague play beginning in 1997.
Written by: David Green