Queen Elizabeth II Trivia
This week we pause my coverage of Burning Man to pay respect to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. What better way to honor her than a trivia challenge. When I die, I hope somebody will do the same for me.
As I write this in advance, hours after the news of her passing, I find the news hitting me harder than expected. She was the grandmother I never knew. It seems to me she didn’t say much in public, but when she did say something, everybody listened. Many have questioned the need and relevance of a monarch in modern times. I take no position on that, but she at least provided a roll model to look up to and did an outstanding job of it.
Please enjoy the following trivia about Her Majesty as my tribute.
- 1. How old was Elizabeth at the time she became queen?
- 2. Elizabeth had four children. What are their names?
- 3. Elizabeth had one sibling what was his/her name?
- 4. Elizabeth’s father, George VI, had an older brother Edward. Why did Elizabeth become the Monarch, when Edward was closer in the line of succession?
- 5. What is the biological connection between Elizabeth and her husband Prince Philip?
- 6. Elizabeth met every president from Truman to Biden, except which one?
- 7. True or false – Upon the death of the Princess Diana, Elizabeth immediately ordered flags at Buckingham Palace to be lowered to half-mast?
- 8. How many grandchildren did Elizabeth have?
- 9. How many great-grandchildren did Elizabeth have?
- 10. Elizabeth was fond of what breed of dog?
- 11. What is Elizabeth’s official title?
- 12. How many Prime Ministers of the UK served Elizabeth?
- 13. True or false – Elizabeth was allowed to drive without a license?
- 14. What date is Elizabeth’s birthday?
- 15. Elizabeth became a homeowner at what age?
- 16. The Queen was bilingual. What other language, besides English, did she speak?
- 17. During World War II, the queen performed what job for the military?
- 1. 25
- 2. Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward
- 3. Margaret
- 4. Edward did become the Monarch when King George V died. However, he abdicated the throne to marry a divorced American, Wallis Simpson. At the time, the Church of England did not allow marriage after divorce. This paved the way for George VI to become king with Elizabeth the heir behind him as the older of two girls. Had her younger sibling been a boy, he would have become the Monarch.
- 5. They were second cousins once removed (through King Christian IX of Denmark) and third cousins (through Queen Victoria). If my math is right, they would share 3/128 = 2.34% common DNA.
- 6. Lyndon Johnson
- 7. False – One of her most controversial decisions.
- 8. Eight (Two through all four children)
- 9. 12 (5 through Charles, 5 through Anne, 2 through Andrews, 0 through Edward)
- 10. Pembroke Welsh Corgis (usually just called corgis).
- 11. Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.
- 12. 15
- 13. True. She was the only person in the UK with such privilege.
- 14. She was born on April 21, but her birthday is celebrated in June, when the weather is better.
- 15. Six, when the people of Wales gifted her a house.
- 16. French.
- 17. Truck driver and mechanic.