On This Page
This Day in Sports History (8/16/2020 – 8/22/2020)
August 16th, 1981
- Highest score ever in a World Cup soccer match. New Zealand – 13 vs. Fiji – 0.
August 17th, 1973
- Willie Mays hits his 660th as well as the final home run of his illustrious MLB career.
August 18th, 1982
- Pete Rose passes Hank Aaron for the most career MLB plate appearance with 13,941.
August 19th, 1969
- Ken Holtzman of the Chicago Cubs no hits the Atlanta Braves to win the ball game 3 to 0.
August 20th, 1985
- Dwight Gooden become the first National League pitcher to strike out 200 + batters in his first two season in Major League Baseball.
August 21st, 1922
- The Green Bay Packers and Curly Lambeau are granted an NFL franchise.
August 22nd, 1989
- Nolan Ryan strikes out the 5,000th batter of his MLB career
Written by: David Green