On This Page
This Day in Sports History (2/23/2020 – 2/29/2020)
February 23rd, 1968
- Wilt Chamberlain becomes the first player of the National Basketball Association to score 25,000 points throughout his career.
February 24th, 1980
- The USA Men’s Olympic ice hockey team defeated Finland 4 to 2 to win the Olympic Gold Medal.
February 25th, 1989
- Mike Tyson defeated Frank Bruno via TKO in five rounds to win the Heavyweight Boxing Title.
February 26th, 1935
- The New York Yankees release Babe Ruth, and he signs with the Boston Braves.
February 27th, 1959
- Bob Cousy of the Boston Celtics sets an NBA record with 28 assists against the Minneapolis Lakers.
February 28th, 1967
- Wilt Chamberlain hits an NBA record 35 consecutive field goals.
February 29th, 1980
- Gordie Howe becomes the first player in the Nation Hockey League to score 800 career goals.
Written by: David Green