On This Page
This Day in Sports History (12/1/2019 – 12/7/2019)
December 1st, 1971
- The Chicago Cubs release superstar Ernie Banks, but sign him as a coach.
December 2nd, 1993
- The Houston Rockers start the NBA season 15 – 0 (NBA Record).
December 3rd, 1988
- Barry Sanders of Oklahoma State wins the Heisman Trophy Award.
December 4th, 1920
- The first professional football playoff game is played at Polo Grounds Stadium. Buffalo – 7 Canton – 3.
December 5th, 1974
- The National Football League welcomes the Seattle Seahawks franchise.
December 6th, 1992
- Jerry Rice of the San Francisco 49ers catches his 101st career touchdown pass. This is an NFL record.
December 7th, 1907
- Eugene Corri is the first referee to call a boxing match in the ring.
Written by: David Green