Last Updated: April 29, 2016
On This Page
Lotteries have been a way of raising revenue for the government for a very long time. They have been used to raise money for special projects in China for over 2,000 years, including the Great Wall of China. Laws on lotteries vary significantly from state to state and country to country. In many places, they are the only legal form of gambling.
Although there are many ways to play the lottery and prizes have grown into the billions of dollars, they are still basically a 50/50 raffle. In other words, 50% of ticket sales to go some special project or government program and the other 50% is divided somehow among the winners.
There is too much to be said about lotteries to fit on one page. For now, this main lottery page is an index of resources on various lotteries and lottery games.
The lottery is pretty much a game of luck but there are some ways to improve your odds. Here is my general advice for all lotteries.
- Don't play: With very few exceptions, lotteries are an awful bet. The house edge on most games is about 50%. If you must play, try to do so in moderation.
- Play Quick Picks: If you play games based on choosing numbers, don't choose them yourself. Human beings are awful at picking random numbers. If you do, and you win the jackpot, chances are you will have a lot of other people to share it with, who picked the same numbers for the same reason you did. Your odds are much better letting the computer choose numbers randomly with the Quick Pick option.
I have a very in-depth treatment of the California Lottery. More states to follow.
Please see my Powerball page for a lengthy analysis of that game. A Mega Millions page is on my "to do" list.
- Powerball calculator — Calculate for odds for the Powerball, or any lottery with five "white balls" and one "Power Ball."
- Mega Millions calculator — Calculate for odds for the Mega Millions, or any lottery with five "white balls" and one "Mega Ball."
- Pick Six calculator — Calculate for odds for any "pick six" game.
- SuperLotto Plus — California Lottery game.